Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The adventure has begun!

Today I left for Peru. After over a month of preparing in Dallas, I've finally started my adventure. The last few days have been pretty hectic trying to get everything together and get it through my head that I'm actually leaving for 5 months.

One thing I finally did was pack my backpack COMPLETELY. Before yesterday, I had packed it up with "most" of my stuff and figured that I would have no problem, but when I really had to put everything in it, it got a little crowded in there. So many little things that make it cramped.

As I packed everything up, I started to get worried. Everything definitely fit, but boy was it tight. I was hoping for some extra room in there for snacks and whatever else happens during travelling time. I decided it was best to unload some of the things I would be using more often into my daypack (which had since been rolled up and put in my big pack). I have this awesome little northface rucksack that's really small for storage but is surprisingly large when you're actually using it, with all the full backpack features like cynches, small pockets, and the like. I unloaded things like my tablet and ukulele, which were respectively some of heaviest and biggest single items in my pack before, albeit the lightest and smallest of their kind!

Only problem now is I have 2 backpacks to carry! Well it looks like one goes on the back, and one goes on the front. At least for the airport travel. During some treks I might try to get everything in the big pack again. I tried to hang the dayback of the back of the other pack, but it was going to be very unweildy and perhaps swinging all over the place throwing me off balance.

Speaking of balance, I have around 30 pounds to carry around with everything packed! I was hoping for something more like 20 pounds, but it seems like that wasn't gonna happen. I went through and took out a few unnecessary things, but that's not many things. A 50 L pack is not that big compared to your usual backkpacking packs of 65 and 80 L, but at least I can put mine in the overhead storage bin with no problem!

This morning, after not much sleep caused by making sure all my electronics were charged and synced up right, we were off! Here are some pics of us going into the airport.

Right now I'm on my second flight from Miami to Lima, Peru. I'm definitely enjoying myself in business class. So far the best part about it is really the food. Not that the food is that good, it is airplane food, but it's a multi course meal with as much alcohol and other drinks as you please! Those flight attendents are quite busy serving us during the beginning of the flights. I got lunch from Dallas to Miami and dinner from Miami to Lima. I think they might actually give us another little meal before we land. We were supposed to get into Lima at midnight, but we were delayed over an hour over what the pilot said was a "paperwork issue." Whatever, I have plenty to do now that I've realized I haven't practiced my spanish at all. I practiced a bit with the guy from Peru sitting next to me...I got some work to do.

When I arrive in Lima my flight to Cuzco is at 6am on a local flight...so I'll have to rough it economy class for the hour flight :p. What I'm really worried about is the elevation once I get to Cuzco. I don't know what Lima is, but Cuzco is over 11,000 ft! I hear I should drink lots of Coca tea at the Lima airport to loosen myself up haha. I have 2 days to acclimate to the elevation before I actually start my inca trail hike to Machu Picchu. I'm starting this trip with a bang, and I have no doubt my legs will feel it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment