Saturday, March 17, 2012

Transportation in India. Trains, planes, buses, and cars!

I've heard great things about the Indian Railway service, and it is a fully functional service that connects many places in India, but my experience shows that there is much to be improved! I'm still not sure how they do the bookings, but I hear that the available tickets are divided up and given out to different agencies, so if one agency says that train is full, it may not actually be full. Since I've been mostly booking fairly last minute trains, all the agencies/websites I asked said it was full. Then people told me that there are general admission cars on the train, which I think means that people can get in it as long as they can fit, kind of like a subway or local metro. There's also another kind of ticket, called Tatkal, which you can only get 24 hours before departure. It's pretty much all the leftover tickets that weren't sold at all the different agencies, so if they're out of tatkal tickets then it's actually full, but it can be quite frustrating.

Booking agencies can book for you, but as I said they might be full for their quota.

There's also tons of different kind of classes. I don't understand them, I just took second class ac the few times I took the train.

The bathroom in the train was literally a squat hole to the ground underneath the train. So the train track is essentially a bathroom, that'll keep people from walking on the tracks haha.

The meal was tasty!

Buses were much more fun and easy to use. Of course the bus stops aren't marked and the buses sometimes don't stop moving haha. Maybe I'll write more of my story later.

No comments:

Post a Comment